With over 80 submissions for this carnival, the competition was tough. If something didn’t scream, “This is a way to save money”, it didn’t make the cut. I didn’t want to single out any articles as being my favorites. I’ve found that the best frugal tips are the ones you can use. Instead, I tried to categorize the articles to assist you find a tip to help you.
Lists of Frugal Tips
- The Simple Dollar gives 100 Great Tips for Saving Money. This article must have taken some time to write.
- Being Frugal only manages 75 frugal hacks for your home. Lynnae, you know I’m only joking :-).
- Early Retirement Extreme has a list of 25 money saving tips.
- Not The Jet Set gives some general frugality tips that you can use everyday.
- Rather-Be-Shopping has a list of 50 Valentine’s Ideas That Won’t Break The bank. I was a little disappointed that all of these tips were for what guys can do for the ladies.
- Savvy Frugality plans for some frugal romance.
Food & Groceries
- Thursday Bram gives some ways to be frugal with cooking tools.
- Cheap Healthy Good gives some grocery shopping tips. I liked the humor about her keys.
- I’ve Paid For This Twice Already writes about why shopping around the perimeter of a grocery store (typically raw ingredients) costs more than the aisles (typically prepared foods). I’m very much the same way.
- Monroe on a Budget gives some of her coupon tips.
- Diary of a New Old-Fashioned Gal made some artsy crackers on the cheap.
- Lightening Online writes about reducing the grocery budget
- Free From Broke asks buying in bulk can be wasteful. The answer is of course yes. The key is to getting non-perishables.
- The Great Money Challenge gives details on what can be purchased with a $200 a month food budget. Like the author, I don’t think it’s a tall order.
- The Sojourner brought in a ton of food for $22 from the community food bank.
- Frugal Dad saves money with 20 tips for the grocery store.
- Me, My Kid, and Life is traveling on a budget to Berlin.
- The Art of Balanced Living gives 10 tips to Save Money on Gas. I was surprised it didn’t list gliding to the stop lights, which is something I tend to do. Often by the time I get there, the light has changed and I can move on without ever having stepped on the brake.
- Mom Advice has opened her own bed-and-breakfast. As a bonus she’s made me homesick for Cape Cod.
- Value For Your Life writes about Las Vegas on a budget.
- Debt-free Revolution saves some money on vehicle maintenance.
- Debt Prison gives some tips on how to buy a used car.
- Blueprint for Financial Prosperity lists some free tax preparation services. This might be helpful for some – my taxes are too complex and I wouldn’t qualify.
- Not to be outdone, My Dollar Plan also has some free tax preparation services.
- Funny about Money writes that you should Never pay bank or finance charges
- The Personal Financier asks you to consider 4 things before taking a loan.
- Finance Blog came up with some ways to save for a first mortgage deposit.
- The Happy Rock Gives some inexpensive workout ideas.
- Be Thrifty Like Us says that you should understand your health benefits. I need to spend more time doing this myself.
- One Million and Beyond saves money on entertainment.
- Money Blue Book saves money at the library.
General Tips (Uncategorized)
- The Digerati Life gives some tips on saving money on energy.
- Fire Finance writes about the a dozen places to get a dozen roses. You can get a variety of flowers from the florists he mentions, I just wanted to stick with the dozen theme.
- Free Money Finance gives some tips to save money on vet bills
- Stephanie from Stop the Ride recycles scrap metal for extra cash.
- Smalls Cents writes about the end of the used cloth diaper market. This is one market I was happier knowing didn’t exist.
- Unclaimed money comes up with some ways to beat the winter doldrums. I like to de-clutter, but I’m not very good at it.
- Bean Sprouts makes frugal patchwork.
- My Two Dollars has stopped all catalogs from coming to his home. It stops him from spending money and saves the environment.
- Money Under 30 gives a review of Shoeboxed.com.
- Sound Money Matters gives three tips for saving money on college books.
- Money and Values saves money getting third-party accessories for technology products.
- Searching for Crabshells found one! Just kidding, she wrote an article about budgets.
- Dollar Frugal writes about saving money on furniture.
- Single Guy Money asks if you saved money this week?
- No Credit Needed gives some says that you should try a budget. Sorry NCN, I’m still knocking budgets – they are too much work for no payoff for me.
- Squawkfox writes about how to avoid student debt by saving money.
- Debt Beater says that you should examine your credit card interest rates often. I suggest not getting credit card debt instead.
- Keeping The Reins Tight compares Bank of America’s Keep the Change vs. Chase Cash Back.
- Tight Fisted Miser has some underwear frugality. Yep, just when you thought you’ve read everything.
- Mrs. Micah says that you can save money if you know yourself.
- Two Pennies Earned writes about her 6 favorite pieces of free software.
- Investing Lessons finds a way to find save money in various places
- The Family CEO tells you to make four calls to save money.
- Hustler Money Blog gives two tips that add up to neary 10% off of anything at Amazon.com.
- A Penny Closer realizes that Goodwill doesn’t accept everything.
- The Penny Saved has five secrets for mastering personal finance.
- Millionaire Mommy Next Door doesn’t live the “goods” life.
- Frugal Babe is remodeling her kitchen on the cheap.
- KCLau says Don’t spend the money you don’t have, to buy the thing you don’t need, to please the people you don’t like!
Amanda Milne says
Great carnival! I look forward to reading the other articles. Thank you very much for including my post about Vegas on a budget!
Thanks for hosting and including my article.
Wow! This is a huge edition! Thank you Lazy Man for hosting and for including my article. I am pretty excited as this is my first Festival of Frugality!
Mrs. Micah says
Thanks for hosting, Lazy! :) (One would think that laziness and organizing carnivals are kind of opposites…) ;)
Thanks for hosting and including my post! -FFB
Thanks for the mention Lazy Man!
Kyle @ Rather-Be-Shopping says
Some great reading here! Thanks for hosting and including my post.
Thanks for including me! But the link to my post is missing. :(
My Dollar Plan says
Wow what a list! Thanks for including me.
Funny about Money says
Thanks for the mention of the “Never Pay Bank or Finance Charges” piece. And thanks for hosting this awesome collection of articles. I got distracted clicking on links left & right before I could even get here to say thank you!
You know, you really can’t call yourself lazy man after you’ve put all this work into hosting the carnival. (Okay, you’ve probably heard that before, I take it back!) THANK you for this great collection and I appreciate being included!
hi lazy man, im salve. i found your blog through digerati life. great carnival! it will probably take me days to go through all these tips! :) i feel like a kid in Toy Kingdom. haha.
Rich Money Million says
Lots of great ideas! This is the first ‘Carnival’ I’ve stumbled on and it’ll take me days to get through all of this! :)
Great list of posts!!! Thanks for including mine. :) Gave you the stumble thumbs up as a little thankyou. :)
Lynnae @ Being Frugal.net says
Thanks for hosting! And I’ll come up with another 50 tips, just for you! ;)
Thanks for including my article in this carnival. It looks great. You mentioned coasting to red lights and it made me laugh. Here’s a link to my other blog about doing just that. My husband takes coasting to an extreme.
I love your site! I’ve added a link to your site on my blog. I’m just starting out on my journey to get out of debt. I would love it if you added a link to my blog on your site.
Millionaire Mommy Next Door says
Thanks for hosting, LM. I’ve linked back to the festival
FIRE Finance says
Thanks for hosting such a huge festival and including our post in it.
living in a frugal way says
This carnival seems to just about covered every conceivable way to save money!!
I now have nothing original to write….. ever :)
Thanks for doing this, it’s a great list of articles.