Today is one of those days for me. It’s the most depressed I’ve been in easily a year – probably much longer. When I lost my job I was happier. When I was passed over for a well-paying position that was absolutely perfect for me I was happier.
It’s all because of a football game. I read the 7 words of the last sentence over and over again. My mind can’t make sense of why something like a football game matters. The only thing more depressing to me than the result of the football game is realizing that a football game can make me depressed.
Some people might go into a spending spree to take their minds off of it. The mental rush of acquiring a new Wii is tempting to me right now. However, I will choose not to spend money today. Instead I will do the following:
- Guard myself against depression. Here are a few tips that have helped me in the past.
- Take a Self-Appreciation Day.
- Realize how lucky I really am. I wish everyone were as fortunate as me. We should all be so lucky that the result of a football game is the most depressing thing to happen to me in years.
If that doesn’t work, I have two sure-fire ways to chase away the blues.
- Here Comes the Sun – The Beatles song is depression Kyptonite. I can’t be unhappy when it’s on.
- Watch a laughing shark – I’ve seen this a hundred times and it still makes me laugh. I never said I was normal.