This was a big weekend in Boston sports. With the Red Sox – Yankees playing and Celtics and Bruins seasons still going on… all the teams had some logs in the fire. Oh, I forgot to mention the Patriots. They entered the draft with 11 picks. They proceed to wheel and deal. They traded down in some cases and up in other cases. In the end, it seemed like Bill Belichick got great value for every pick. A couple of times he traded a third round pick for a 2nd round pick next year. In other cases he traded the #23 pick (which requires a little dough to sign) back to #41 (which requires quite a bit less) and picked the same player that everyone predicted they’d take at #23. In that process they added a few more picks.
All in all, after adding four 2nd round picks and setting themselves up for 3 more 2nd round picks next year, they are looking pretty good to play at a high level for years. Then again, I think fans of a lot of teams are pretty happy, it will be fun to watch how things play out over the years.
Enough sports-talk for now, let’s get to some personal finance links…
- Brip Blap discusses the real meaning of risk.
- Frugal Dad declares I have had enough!
- Generation X Finance writes a Supreme Court case highlights the importance of keeping your beneficiaries up to date.
- Million Dollar Journey asks do you plan to leave anything behind?
- Learn how to make cheap phone calls and lower your phone bill written by Digerati Life.
- Take a look into IRA vs Roth IRA by Money Smart Life.
- My Dollar Plan posts 16 second quarter financial tips.
- The Sun’s Financial Diary says life insurance may make better budget sense than you think.
More Finance Posts:
- Mighty Bargain Hunters shares with readers some personal finance aggregators worth a look.
- Free Money Finance blogs another example of getting rich on a low salary.
- Bargaineering shares how students use credit cards.
Writer's Coin says
How about that Celtics/Bulls game yesterday? Unbelievable…it’s turning out to be quite the series
Lazy Man says
Yeah, I actually flipped to watch that as well. I’m not to big on basketball, so anything that happens there is a bonus…
I’d rather watch the Red Sox sweep the Yankees with Ellsbury being the hero.
Kosmo @ The Casual Observer says
Ah, but you missed the big Patriots story of the weekend. They traded Ellis Hobbs – argh. You’d think they would have learned a lesson from the Babe Ruth trade. The Patriots are now officially doomed.
I was back at corp HQ last week. A co-worker of mine, knowing how much I hate the Yankees, gave me a gift – a Mariano Rivera starting lineup figurine. Hope you enjoyed the voodoo that I used over the weekend.
Lazy Man says
I’m sad to see Hobbs go. I wonder who will take his place in the “let’s just toss a jump ball for a touchdown” game the Patriots are often victims of.
I did enjoy the voodoo, especially Friday night’s.
Corporate Barbarian says
Ouch! Did you have to bring up the Yankees? I almost had it blocked from my consciousness. And, as a Giants fan, the Pats did a nice job in the draft, adding much-needed depth. Now, back to licking my wounds…
We were disappointed to see Ellis Hobbs go too. We live in Iowa but I’m from Massachusetts, so I’m a Pats fan. My 9 yo son wrote to Hobbs in the fall and just got a nice handwritten letter back along with an autographed card. (Hobbs went to Iowa State.) See this well done interview on the trade: http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-166/Video–Ellis-Hobbs-ready-to-move-on.html
(Your Massachusetts sports references are a nice bonus when reading your blog!)