Without a job that pays me an hourly wage my goals for 2008 are quite complex. It would be unfair of me to set net worth goals as if I were still making a 6 figure salary. On the other hand, it’s very possible I will go back to work this next year. If that happens, loftier net worth goals should be back in play. For this reason, I’m going to have to make two sets of goals for 2008 one for Independent Lazy Man (income coming from only my own business and freelancing ability) and one for Corporate Sell-out Lazy Man (I decide to work for XYZ Corporation for a set salary).
Goals for Independent Lazy Man
- Net Worth – $250,000. This may seem a little low since it’s only $30,000 more than my current $220,000 – especially when you consider that a 10% gain in a lot of my investments would push me to $240,000. However, without a steady income, I could be looking at a year of treading water. Stretch goal: $275,000.
- Alternative Income – End the year making $5000/mo. Assuming that I don’t have to commit 8+ hours a day to a full-time job, I need to grow this. No job and no growth in this area would be a pretty large failure. Stretch goal: $6000/mo.
- Software Development Skills – Put in 500 hours becoming proficient in a rapid development computer platform like Ruby on Rails on CakePHP. A substitute for the 500 hours would be for me to launch at least one website (in these technologies) that I would feel proud of putting on my resume. Stretch goal: none, this is aggressive enough considering that I’m thinking of ditching of my software development career.
- Business Skills – Start a personal MBA program. I’m an extremely slow reader and would consider it difficult to read two books from each category. However, that will be my goal. Stretch Goal: Read half of the books.
Health – I weight around 175 lbs. and my body fat measuring devices say I have around 20% body fat. I’m not concerned much about the weight, but I’d like to get to 17% body fat. Stretch goal: 15% body fat.
- Lazy Man and Money – I’d like to finish the year with 55,000 monthly visitors and 4,000 subscribers
- Lazy Man and Health – I’d like to finish the year with 20,000 monthly visitors and 1,000 subscribers.
Goals for Corporate Sell-out Lazy Man
- Net Worth – $290,000. Stretch goal: $315,000.
- Alternative Income – End the year making $3750/mo. Stretch goal: $4500/mo.
Career – As Corporate Sell-out Lazy Man, I’d be happy contributing to that company in every way that I can. As such, I probably wouldn’t make much progress on a personal MBA while I work on other side businesses.
Health – I’d like to get to 18.5% body fat. Stretch goal: 17% body fat.
Websites – Same as Independent Lazy Man (see above).