How is that an attempt at a random title? Let’s dig in…
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – I hope you spend a little time reflecting on yesterday’s holiday. I took some time to look back on the past and think about the present. I caught someone who knew him on the news, who said that he’d be very focused on gay rights if he were alive today. I don’t doubt it.
- Football – The biggest disappointment of the week for me was the upset of my team, the Patriots, which were heavily favored vs. what some consider their rival (sorry Jets supporters, the Colts are the Patriots’ rivals). I’m feeling good about it today as the Patriots are set with a lot of draft picks. More importantly, with football ending a couple weeks early for me, I will be three times more productive.
- Berkeley – News is coming out today that the city of Berkeley California is offering an unusual perk for city employees – sex-change operations. Whaaaaaaat? I don’t see how/why city money should go towards such a thing. I’m with the city resident that mentioned that her street needs paving. Perhaps someone can explain this to me the comments. (By the way, interesting that San Francisco has had this perk for a decade.)
- Steve Jobs – If you Follow me on Twitter, I occasionally make jabs at Apple. Most recently, I made a joke about how only Apple can fix something that was broken for years and turning into a big positive press event. The two most recent examples were the Beatles on iTunes and getting the iPhone on Verizon. However, today’s news that Apple CEO Steve Jobs is taking medical leave again is extremely disappointing. I look back when my wife saw him at a local restaurant. She said she wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t survive the weekend. He did not look good.
- Sheldon-bot becomes a reality – For those who watch the Big Bang Theory, you may remember this episode:
Sheldon, one of the main characters decided the world presented too much potential danger. His solution was to create a robot to navigate the world for him. He communicates with people via the robot. Turns out this technology exists today. I caught a story about a child with an immune-deficiency disease who uses a V-Go, which is essentially the same type of robot.
- Ben from Money Smart Life – I got to meet Ben yesterday as he was in town. Had a great lunch with him and The Digerati Life. Every time I think I have a lot of irons in the fire, I think of Ben. He is a busy, busy guy. Get your sleep man. :-)
Now for some personal finance links:
- Brip Blap presents how to learn about success.
- Digerati Life on how to avoid stock market losses! Beware of these 5 investment mistakes.
- Frugal Dad shares 5 lessons Dave Ramsey taught me about healthy living.
- Generation X Finance asks should you repair or replace your old car?
- Millionaire Dollar Journey on resisting social pressure.
- Money Smart Life posts about 10 credit card rental car insurance surprises.
- My Dollar Plan shares 10
creative ways states and cities are plugging leaks in their budgets.
- The Sun’s Financial Diary says forecasting the stock market is more art than science.
Top PF Posts:
- Free Money Finance asks is it time to leave your job?
- The Smarter Wallet gives the many uses of baking soda, a cheap household cleaner.
- A Dawn Journal wonders what happens to your stocks when the company goes bankrupt?
- One Frugal Girl says I am not stealing!
- Mighty Bargain Hunter on making allowances
- Almost Frugal wonders to fix it or replace it?
- Budgets are Sexy asks how much do you spend a week on groceries?
- Diva in Debt shares
why she lives with her parents.
- 50 Plus Finance posts how do you stick your nose into someone else’s money?
- Money Under 30 offers four
ways to save $50,000 or more on your mortgage.