No matter how practical it may appear, building a pool is not as affordable as one might hope. Most people who want to install a pool are burdened with the initial cost and have to maintain their private pond.
It would be best if you discovered the pros and cons of this decision. There’s a need to examine several aspects before investing in a swimming pool, and we are going to guide you through some of them.
Why Invest in A Swimming Pool?
Everyone loves to have an enjoyable and relaxing experience. Owning a pool is one way to get this, especially during summertime. Whether you are planning to install a swimming pool or buying a swimming pool home, there are certain things you stand to gain.
1. Augment Your Property Worth.
Aside from making your home more appealing, having a swimming pool installed increases your property value by up to 5 percent in most cases, and even more than 20 percent in some instances.
The good news is that with salt and certain recent technologies such as fiberglass, the cost of maintaining your pool is significantly lower than how it initially was. You can now reduce the cost of maintenance while still adding value to your property.
2. Reduced Expenditure on Recreation.
With an easily accessible swimming pool in your compound, you are more likely to spend less on outdoor recreational activities. There are numerous relaxing activities for both adults and kids to enjoy at the poolside. The need to spend money on outdoor entertainment is reducing.
3. Recreation and Ease.
The enjoyment you can get out of owning a swimming pool is immense. If you have a family and kids, this makes your experience invaluable as you can have a lot of beautiful sessions with your kids.
During hot seasons the pleasure you derive from owning a pool is even more remarkable. The best part is you can do all this at your convenience, whenever you want to, without any need to pack and move everyone to a public place. Moreover, if you ever host a party, a swimming pool is one thing that is sure to spice things up a lot more.
Swimming promises an array of health benefits and can improve the quality of life in many ways.
- It improves heart functionality.
- It tones and improves muscle strength, increases fitness and endurance.
- It is a good weight maintenance practice.
- It helps to reduce stress.
Understandably, many people prefer to have their own space and time to relax without being bothered by strangers. With a pool in your home, you can make time to chill out on your own or with people close to you.
These countless benefits can make it possible to ignore or completely forget the disadvantages of owning a swimming pool. Owning a pool demands more than just the initial cost of installing one. There are some disadvantages of installing a pool or buying a house with an already installed pool.
Cons Of Investing in A Swimming Pool
1. Health Implications: If a pool is not adequately maintained, it is sure to grow molds and algae, and this will cause bacterial infections. It is essential to be attentive to proper maintenance, especially during periods when the swimming pool is not active. For maintenance purposes, chemicals such as chlorine are useful in taking care of bacteria and algae. However, using this chemical without proper regulation can have unpleasant effects such as eye and skin irritation, and in some cases, asthma.
2. Domestic Hazards: Many possible things could go wrong around the pool area, especially if you have little children or aged people living with you. Wet or slippery floors can cause someone, even adults and teens, to slip and fall, leading to fatal accidents. Children enjoy playing around the house, and they like to explore. Playing around unsupervised and without restrictions can lead to dreadful or fatal accidents such as drowning.
3. Maintenance and Repairs: If you are to enjoy using your pool at its best for a long time, you can not neglect it. According to experts and professionals, proper and regular maintenance (at least weekly) is recommended for your pool to keep it clean and in a good state. You may need to employ pool cleaners to get the best treatment for your swimming pool.
You need to carry out certain repairs periodically if you want your pool is to stay in a good overall shape. A repairman’s service will be required at different intervals to take care of leakages if there is any crack or tear in the lining of your pool. Generally, maintenance and repairs will cost you quite a fortune over time.
4. Household Pests and Insects: Water and moisture bring many unwanted insects and pests around the house. Stagnant water is home to certain insects such as mosquitoes, a massive pain in the neck to everyone.
5. Resale Market Price: Adding a pool to your house can increase the value of your property, but not in every case. In a situation where many homes in your neighbourhood also have pools, your property’s resale value may not be up to what you would want or expect. For many potential buyers, a swimming pool could be a deterrent as they will be scared away by the cost of buying the house while having to plan for the maintenance and repairs of the pool.
Before deciding to install a pool or purchase a swimming pool home, you should consider some things.
Are you prepared to be burdened with maintenance and repairs? Is it high risk (in case you have kids or aged people living with you)? Is the resale value of my property high enough to consider the option?