Like almost all of my weekend posts, I try to highlight something that’s not necessarily related to personal finance. Maybe it’s a small detail of something that’s going on my life. Earlier this week, I was driving to the store to do some shopping and I heard an unusual song. It caught my attention because I would categorize it as rap, but I don’t listen to channels that typically play rap. Perhaps it’s a lot like one of favorite bands, Cake.
I went home and found the the video on YouTube. I showed it to my wife and she agreed that it was even better than the song itself. Unfortunately, YouTube has disabled the embedding of this video, so you’ll have to click over to catch Handlebars by Flobots. There’s a great story about the paths that you can choose… how power can corrupt… things of that nature… lots of great symbolism… basically the reason why I miss MTV showing music videos.
And now some links from The Money Writers
- Looking for that the perfect ten year mortgage ? Head on over to My Dollar Plan for break down of one that’s pretty close.
- 9 ways to save without breaking a sweat over at Brip Blap this week is a pretty good read. I especially liked the idea of the change jar. It is amazing how much money you rack up that way. Also if you’re really savvy and have grandkids they’ll love you for giving the jar to them.
- We keep seeing the prices rising at the pump and it hurts. Money Smart Life offers us this week a way to save money on gas – small, easy gas saving tips take a big bite out of high gas prices .
- Generation X Finance gives us a reminder to keep your beneficiaries up-to-date this week. While a difficult subject, it is still important to tackle it and not leave the matter to begin another day.
- Why is it that I hear that the cost of an average wedding is 20K? My neighbor’s son got married recently for 15K and still they had to do their own flowers. Ridiculous! Control your wild wedding costs! set up a wedding budget by Digerati Life sheds light on the subject.
- You have heard of easy money, but sometimes it is hard to find it. Well the Sun’s Financial Diary says you could make hundreds of dollars by referring people . Some of it you’ve already seen like Revolution Money Exchange and some of it you will not have seen.
- Million Dollar Journey remarks on RBS’ prediction of a global market crash . Fear mongering or truth? You decide.
Links from other great blogs:
- Flexo points out that the IRS now allows you to deduct miles at 58.5 cents each. This is helpful for my wife, who occassionally drives pretty far for her work. We expect they’ll update their reimbursement to match. Perhaps this should have a regional aspect to it as well.
- No Credit Needed reports on StreetRead – an interesting new site for stock quotes and financial information .
- Mighty Bargain Hunter has found a great site to share with all of us who love to eat out. You get $35 in Restaurant.com gift certificates for only $4 . Perhaps the prices at the gas pump won’t hurt so much with this sweet deal.
- More gas-saving tips are offered this week by Free Money Finance on top of Money Smart Life’s post. These pertain more to trip taking than everyday.