I’m honestly not trying to bait you in with the title. Instead I want to point you to this article by Michael about his addiction to gambling on Dough Roller. There are probably a handful personal finance articles that go that in depth and tell you the story behind the story. Like he says, “you can sometimes catch a glimpse into [personal finance blogger’s] lives with a sentence here and a sentence there.” I let it slip out that love the Red Sox and the Patriots, and one of the highlights of my day is taking my dog to the dog park. Those are nice, but it really takes courage to go out and admit the negative stuff. That’s what Michael did here.
Michael and I have emailed quite a bit in the past. I went back to look through my emails to him and the first goes all the way back to October of 2008. It seems odd to match these conversations with the timeline of his post. It’s not like we talked a lot, but he did email me when he read that article to my mom. I remember showing that email to my wife and a few friends saying, “This is a stand-up guy.” So this read by far the best the of the week.[Oh and on a related side note: Not that there are good sports to gamble on, but football is one of the worst. One tipped pass can turn into a pick-six and your bet is lost. Also football doesn’t give you a large sample size like say baseball or basketball.]
Before I get to the rest of the personal finance articles, I’d like to remind you that there’s still time to get $25 in free money from CollegeAdvantage.
- Brip Blap posts the first step to financial success.
- Digerati Life presents beyond homeschooling your kids: radical unschooling?
- Frugal Dad posts 10 Father’s Day gift ideas under $50.
- Generation X Finance on the importance of creating a savings account.
- Million Dollar Journey blogs on the importance of paying attention to financial statements.
- Money Smart Life writes how to avoid drowning in debt.
- Learn how to redeem savings bonds at My Dollar Plan.
- The Sun’s Financial Diary shares how to live without credit.
Top PF Posts:
- The Smarter Wallet asks what
is a 401k Plan? Flaws in the 401k retirement system.
- Watson Inc. writes savings
down, spending up but what does it mean?
- Budgets are Sexy asks do
you ever just miss shopping?
- Stop Buying Crap says teach your children about money management by playing shopkeeper.
- Wise Bread says as sure as night follows day, you’re going to get a traffic ticket soon.
- Money Ning presents 5 steps to recognizing and correcting errors on your credit report.