I’ve had a few things percolating in my head over the last week. It’s time to pour it out into the blog. Please let me know in the comments if it’s Kopi Luwak or 3-hour old sludge in the office’s coffee machine.
- Liberty Tax Service is Odd – I was surprised to see Liberty Tax Service parading people in Statue of Liberty costumes outside their tax locations. I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t trust my taxes to a mascot. And if I were forced to go with a service with mascot, I would probably choose one with a clown over one with the Statue of Liberty. She seems like she would be biased towards Uncle Sam.
- Have a Credit Card Balance? – I could be wrong, but I think this opportunity to transfer your credit card balance to one with a 0% interest rate, is ending at the end of the month. For those of you who are unaware, that is today.
- Capital One’s 3x the Interest – I love sneaky marketing, but can we retire Capital One’s “3 times the Interest” campaign? Next to zero times three is still next to zero… plus other companies offer similar rates.
- I still love SodaStream – When I wrote my review calling SodaStream the Product of the Year, I meant it. Some wondered if I’d grow tired of making my own soda and stick with it. It really isn’t that much work, probably about 30 seconds worth once a day – well worth it.
- True Lemon/Lime/Orange – This year’s early contender for product of the year is True Lemon/Lime/Orange. As one example, True Lime could revolutionize Corona drinking everywhere. I had to update my review of the SodaStream above to include the better pricing I found on True Lemon.
Money Beagle says
The Liberty statues have been doing their thing for close to ten years that I remember, and they claim that as crazy an idea as it is, that it actually works. I have to laugh and I wonder how many times a day they get honked at or yelled at.
Kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says
I’ve always wondered how much the Liberty mascots get paid. Might not be a bad gig in locales where the temp is nice, but I see them parading around when it’s -10 in January. Eh? Think I’d rather flip burgers.
liberty mascots [lady liberty and uncle sams] get paid about 8/hr, work 45 min on, 15 off. they get treated better than the seasonal tax preparers and they really do bring in customers. they can wear their coats under their costumes. most are high school kids, neighborhood kidsworked as a branchmanager and trainer for liberty for 5 years, i would trust a liberty tax preparer before i would trust jackson hewitt, they have the worst, least knowledgeble staff. H&R block isn’t bad, too pricy and they push bank products. call in independent account, you’ll get better service at a better price. do it yourself if you are willing to invest the time.
Austerity Bill says
Soda stream is perhaps a cheaper option than a major soda brand, but why not cut soda out altogether and drink something cheaper and healthier?
Lazy Man says
I invite you to read the article that I linked to when I called SodaStream the product of the year. I mostly make carbonated water with the True Lemon that I mentioned above. It is something cheaper and healthier while giving me the feeling of drinking soda with its carbonated goodness. I checked with my nutritionist and since carbonation isn’t digested by the body she gave it a thumbs up as a substitution for soda.