Many personal finance sites run contests and giveaways to give something back to their readers. I’ve been hesitant to do this for three major reasons:
- I’m extraordinarily stingy
- I hate to put something in the mail system without a name and return address. At the same time, I don’t want to use my own to protect my anonymity.
- I’m fearful that one bad egg will point out that missed some technicality required to run contests that I missed.
I’ve been given an opportunity that solves most of these problems. The kind people at Warner Books want to promote The Last Chance Millionaire by Douglas Andrew. The book is written primarily towards American baby boomers and how they can adjust their financial strategies to achieve a stable, successful retirement. At least that’s what I’m told, I haven’t gotten a chance to read the book yet. Warner Books, and it’s public relations first, is going to be insulating me from most of the work with running the contest – which fits into the Lazy philosophy. They are providing and shipping the prizes – they even offered some legalize but assured me that for prizes under $500 there’s no legalize necessary.
I know what you are thinking… “enough with this, get to the prizes already…” Here you go:
Grand Prize – A high-end leather briefcase from one of the Sideways Media’s partners (who include Tumi, Jack Spade, Latico Leathers, and Landmark Luggage) – retail value of $200. You’ll also get a copy of The Last Chance Millionaire to fill up that briefcase.
Runner up Prizes – A copy of The Last Chance Millionaire. Three of these prizes will be awarded.
How do you enter to win? There are two ways… The first way is to simply leave a comment here. To encourage some interesting comments, I’ll give two entries for comments that:
- Make me laugh (keep it clean though)
- Tell me why you should win (even though it’s a random drawing)
- Anything else that seems interesting to me (my wild card, catch-all)
The other way to enter is by writing an honest review of Lazy Man and Money on your website/blog/etc. linking to the homepage or this contest page. It doesn’t have to be a positive review. I don’t mind negative reviews, especially if there’s something constructive I can learn from the review. After you’ve published your review, send me an e-mail with the URL of it I’ll record your entries. You’ll receive FOUR entries for this. If you don’t send me an e-mail, I won’t know about your review and you won’t get credit.
– Only one comment entry per person – I’ll delete repeat comments.
– Reviews must be 100 words minimum.
– Reviews be a stand-alone – the entire post/page/etc. must be devoted to just the review, not sharing space with another topic.
– Reviews must come from established websites with substantial content, not your MySpace page or anything like that.
– Contest is open to the United States residents and mail addresses only. This is a limitation based on the shipping of prizes.
– One prize per person
– Prizes are awarded by Warner Books and their public relations company Sideways Media. If there are problems with the awarding of prizes, I will work to try resolve the issue with Sideways Media. I do not take responsibility for any problems with the prizes.
– I hold the right to add more (or eliminate) conditions to these rules.
At midnight PST on July 27th (they requested a minimum 30-day contest), I’ll close the contest. I will then assign everyone a number (or numbers) based on their entries and pick winners using Random.org.
On a serious note, I’m not that “extraordinarily stingy.” I’d just rather give my money to charity than buy a briefcase and give it away.