I usually only find a couple of interesting/humorous things on Amazon’s Friday Sale to point out. Amazon just took an hour out of my day, by putting a number of products of interest up for me to write about. I hope they saved some for next week.
- Bug Zapper Tennis Racket – It’s a bug zapper! It’s a tennis racket! For years, I’ve had to kill bugs the old fashioned way. Now I can work on my serve at the same time. I’m sorry to all the bug lovers out there, but what kind of distance do you think you can get with this? If only it helped me in Wii Tennis.
- Throwzini 6-Piece Knife Block Set – I’m a big fan of rip-offs, especially when they save me money. This product seems to be a direct ripoff of the Voodoo Knife Holder. My only issue is that the Throwzini is about 2000% less cool and currently $10 more dollars.
- Panic Mouse – It took me quite awhile to figure out what this was. I eventually figured out that it’s a great way to torment your cat. Add a little catnip and you have entertainment, not just for your cat, but for yourself for hours.
- Sportster Pet Stroller – I grew up with a dog for the first 16 years of my life. Never had thought, “we need a stroller for him.” If we tried to get Randy into it, he would have HATED it! Even later in life when he hurt his leg, we’d carry him before we’d get a pet stroller.
- Tommy Hilfiger Ocean Avenue Sham – I think this product was invented solely to give a child an identity crisis (You have to click through to see the picture for it to make sense.) I’m expecting to have a new niece at some point today (waiting for the call). Hmmmm…
- Hammock – Have you seen my logo? How could I have left the hammock off the list?
- Topsy Turvy Upside-Down Tomato Planter – A favorite of Boston Gal’s Open Wallet. I’ve been reading how fantastic is it for some time. I might jump on it, since it’s the first time I’ve seen it on sale.
- Men’s Brown Leather Watch and 8 Function Multi-Tool Set – I don’t know too many people that think, “I need a multi-tool that matches my watch.” So this set really kind of confuses me. I would have expected a wallet to be better pair with a watch. The only thing that is more curious is that either Amazon put a product in the Friday Sale that it didn’t have to sell – or sold out because there are so many people thinking, “I need a multi-tool that matches my watch.”
- Celtics 17-Championship Hat – This is a shout-out to my friend Pete who got me tickets for game one of the NBA Finals in Boston. If you are reading this Pete, they better give you a ring… and you got get yourself out to San Francisco for a weekend.
- Jump Rope – I’m not sure you can set it on fire like the picture of my Lazy Man and Health article, five reasons to jump rope. Too bad that it’s a double dutch one, your going to have a couple of friends… If those friends are like me they’ll question why you want to be a 7-year old girl.
Highly recommend the hammock! Had one for years and no back yard is complete w/out one.
I know your blog isn’t specifically about being frugal, it’s more about saving money and your own personal goals…but I think it’s unusual that you promote such useless items – and it seems like it’s just to make a few bucks in Amazon referrals.
Lazy Man says
The few bucks I make from Amazon isn’t persuading to me write about these products. It takes a fair amount of time to build the links – I’d be better off doing almost any other activity that makes money.
It’s really about finding something a little lighter and entertaining on Friday afternoons. Personal finance, saving money, investing, etc. can get to be dry after awhile… even for me who loves this stuff.
In addition to the things I find humorous, I also try to include some legitimately good purchases in there – see the tomato plant. I also rail against products that I think are not worth purchasing – see pet stroller.
I actually bought one of those tomato plant hangers, after my dad kept wanting to get one from the infomercials where they were 30 bucks plus shipping. I found it at walgreens for about the amazon price. Its endless entertainment for my 82 year old dad, he waters and is still confounded by the thing. AND… we will have ripe tomatoes in a few weeks.