- Veteran's Day - This Friday is Veterans Day. I'm certainly going to take a pause and reflect not only what the servicemen contribute, but their families as well. My wife just got back from what would be be considered a ridiculously short 2 week deployment and I was lost. I don't know how anyone can handle months.
- Free Applebee's for the Military This Friday - You are quite likely to find me at Applebee's enjoying a free dinner. If you don't like Applebee's the military wallet has more free dinner options. On second glance of the list, T.G.I. Friday's may be a better option since it is closer to us.
- Rolled over my 401Ks - I've had some lingering 401Ks with past jobs that I never got around to moving. Dumb move for me as the costs/fees associated with 401k are much higher than if I moved the money to a brokerage account and bought some index funds with low fees. To get the money invested right away I went with the ultimate in Lazy Portfolios - a split between Vanguard Total Market Index (VTI) and Vanguard Ex-US (VEU). I don't plan on touching the money for a number of years, so I'm not diversifying with any real estate or bonds at this point. Thanks USAA for the 50 free trades. I won't be needing them, but it's saves me a couple of bucks off the top.
- New Girl vs. Whitney - The promos for each of the sitcoms came on at the same time. I put my horses in the Whitney camp and my put hers in the New Girl camp. I can't expound, but for some reason my wife didn't like Whitney from the promos. The laugh track and posing after a joke in Whitney is much too aggressive. However, there are a few jokes where I literally laugh out loud. There are the kind of jokes that I would retell and I never retell jokes. On New Girl, I don't laugh. I feel uncomfortable for her - she's just awkward. Sitcom watchers, please leave a comment and vote for your favorite!
- Jail Time - If I'm convicted of a crime and have to go jail, I am going to demand the Lindsay Lohan treatment. I think we need a new equal rights movement for non-celebrities. If you are going to let her complete a 30-day sentence in 4 hours, you might as well skip jail and hit her in the pocketbook.
- Shortest Retirement - Andy Rooney, that was a really short retirement. On the other hand not too many people are working at age 92.
- Talent TV - I don't know if it already exists or not, but there should be a Talent TV channel that shows old episodes of Dancing with the Stars, American Idol, X Factor, So You Think You Can Dance, America's Top Model, America's Top Designer, etc. Then we should move all those to that channel so that we can get back to sitcoms on the main channels.
- "I Hate My Android Phone" - I heard this a few times over the last couple of weeks. A few times from friends... once by me. Simply trying to make my phone give audible sounds for text messages and phone calls, but not emails required going 5 or 6 menus deep in the email settings (not the Sounds settings as I would have guessed). Since I discovered that, I've hated my phone (Motorola Triumph) less, but I love my $25 plan on Virgin Mobile more. I have a dream that someday we won't have to choose between our phones and phone plans.
- Carnivals - I was included in a few blog carnivals including the Best of Money Carnival and Carnival Of Financial Camaraderie
- Tough Patriots Game - The Patriots game Sunday reminded me of one of the most heartbreaking moments in my life. I have to admit that I was a quite depressed... until I realized that when a football game is a great source to a heartbreak that means that I've lived a very charmed life.
Top Personal Finance Posts:
- Digerati Life with how to save money on concert & event tickets.
- My Dollar Plan presents 7 financial consequences when you say “I Do.”
- Money Smart Life compares travel rewards loyalty vs. travel deal hunting.
- Free Money Finance shares economic lessons from Settlers of Catan.
- Frugal Dad talks about the thorny issue of combining finances.
- The Smarter Wallet posts 5 easy ways to reduce the cost of a cell phone.
- Money Crush on how to de-clutter your wallet with 6 handy apps
- One Frugal Girl writes on planning a party on a budget.
- Len Penzo dot Com asks do prices ending in 9 really affect your buying habits?
9 Responses to “Ten Things I Think I Think (and Personal Finance Links)”
Next: Republic Wireless’ $19 a Month Unlimited Android Plan