It's time to announce the winner of the Mohu Leaf that I reviewed last week. I was pleasantly surprised by not just the number, but the quality of the comments. Many giveaways lead to quick comments, that are almost borderline spam. However, nearly everyone wrote about their situation or their set-up. They offered some great suggestions too.
Let's get all the drama out the way. There can only be one winner. The virtual ping pong balls ended on Mike with the comment of
"I’ve gone with OTA for almost 10 months. Initially it was tough to cut back to only the local channels, but not having to pay that $75 a month is worth it. I’m using an antenna that came with the house, but it is not getting all the channels so I’d like to try a new antenna. Also, I’m using a Hauppauge 2250 TV tuner card in an PC as my DVR. No cable bill, no DVR fee, and I can still watch one show and record another."
I'm thinking of looking into that Hauppauge tuner card myself as it is one of the few that has two tuners. As Mike points out that is necessary to watch one show and record another. Going to a single tuner solution would be a downgrade that wouldn't sit well with my wife.
Congrats, Mike. You have an email in your in-box. If you get me back your name and address, I'll be putting one of these in the mail for you.
More WordPress Cloud
My experiment with hosting this site on Amazon Web Services EC2 continues. I have been extremely happy with the performance for the price about 99% of the time. The other 1% of the time, I'm wishing I had access to a Linux server guru who could do a little audit and tell me what I can do to prevent segmentation faults and the like. I may go searching for some such person.
One of the more difficult things to solve was email since many spammers have tainted the Amazon cloud (like all cloud services). I've got a patch in place that seems to be working well with Gmail's SMTP server, but I may need to upgrade to something a little more robust, the cost of which should be minimal.
And if you didn't understand that last paragraph, because you are not a webmaster, don't feel bad. I've got links, lots of links:
- Brip Blap presents 10 tips to avoid money worries.
- Digerati Life on how to protect your information with these types of paper shredders.
- Frugal Dad offers ideas to trim (or slash) vacation costs.
- Generation X Finances posts signs you may be a victim of tax-related fraud.
- Million Dollar Journey goes over buying foreclosures in Canada – the process.
- Money Smart Life on wanting what you’ve got.
- My Dollar Plan wonders what are your options when you owe the IRS money?
- The Sun’s Financial Diary asks leaving your job? Take your retirement plan with you!
Top PF Posts:
- The Smarter Wallet says to double check your credit card statements!
- My Journey to Millions asks can small businesses teach blue chip corporations something about paying profits?
- Enough Wealth wonders is $7 million enough wealth?
- DINKS Finance blogs the 6 most ridiculous lawsuits I’ve ever seen.
- One Money Design talk about how to split rent with roommates.
- Accumulating Money shares 15 things people forget to budget for.
- Pop Economics on why we’re going to stop caring about the unemployed.
- Savvy Saving Bytes presents the 20 most profitable small businesses in USA.
- The Economic Collapse offers up 14 reasons why the economic collapse of Japan has begun.
- Mighty Bargain Hunter says your home mortgage debt is not an asset.
- Hope to Prosper says freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.
8 Responses to “Mohu Leaf Winner Announced, More WordPress Cloud, and Links”
Next: The 15 Most Profitable Movies of All-Time