About 6 weeks ago, my wife and I decided to finally bite the bullet and hired a cleaning service. I'm a frugal person, so I put this off for a long time thinking that things were "good enough." For the most part they were. However, when I started to go back to work full time, I realized that there would be an adjustment period. The cleaning service looked like a clear way to minimize that adjustment.
The cost for about 1200 square feet apartment and one and a half bathrooms is $90 every two weeks. I don't know if that's a good price or if that's a "Silicon Valley" price. I realize that $180 a month is nothing to sneeze at. For that price one of us could be
enjoying some wasting our money on MonaVie. However, the difference between coming home to a clean place is amazing. It's almost like a vacation. A bonus that I never considered is that it's psychologically easier to keep things clean until the next cleaning. Before when there's a little mess, I didn't mind adding to it. Now, when things start off spotless, I take the extra step to pick up the little mess to keep it spotless.
Readers, please let me know what you think about cleaning services and if you think I'm getting a fair deal... and enjoy these personal finance links.
- Brip Blap tells the story of the the farmer's daughter.
- Digerati Life asks should I get dental insurance?
- Generation X Finance discusses three types of asset allocation: strategic, tactical, and core-satellite "“ which is right for you?
- Frugal Dad asks should I save for retirement while in debt?
- Million Dollar Journey writes talking about finances with your aging parents - or grown kids.
- Money Smart Life posts 9 mistakes people make with their IRA.
- My Dollar Plan shares 7 ways to fix your credit after a foreclosure.
- The Sun's Financial Diary says be your budget's best advocate.
Top PF Posts:
- Five Cent Nickel looks into 15 vs. 30 year mortgages: which is right for you?
- Consumerism Commentary goes on in detail: how to claim the new home buyer tax credit on 2009 tax returns.
- Dough Roller asks when do negative references get removed from your credit report?
- Early Retirement Extreme says impossible is easy.
- PT Money points out tax deductions commonly overlooked.
- One Frugal Girl says you can cut your grocery bills in half, but it will take time.
- Get Rich Slowly posts does renting make sense?
- Her Every Cent Counts wonders when is the right age to get married? Have kids?
- Beware of internet scams: avoid "Get Rich Quick" schemes says The Smarter Wallet.
- Wise Bread blogs the U.S. government wants you in debt.
16 Responses to “Hired a Cleaning Service (and Personal Finance Links)”
Next: Public Storage: Problem Ignored