Ever notice that Where's Waldo and Harry Potter had striking similarities? Both characters were created by British authors, (Waldo is actually the US version of the original Wally). Both were featured in children's books, but had their audience to adults expand to a point where they had sold billions of copies and lead to spin-offs of video games, magazines, dolls, and toys. They both pull of the nerdy glasses quite well. They have a signature striped piece of clothing, Waldo with his shirt and Harry with his scarf. They are never too far away from a signature magical stick, be it a magical walking stick or a magic wand. This signature magical stick was coveted by their arch nemesis (Odlaw in the case of Waldo). Waldo's magical walking stick was given to him by his whitebearded wizard friend.
I know there are a lot of Harry Potter fans out there... my wife being one of the biggest. I don't mean to disparage Harry in any way, I just felt I'd present the facts as I see them.
Enough of the silliness, here are some links:
- If your out on your luck or looking for more job security Digerati Life's post on finding the best jobs to ride out a recession has some good advice.
- If you're thinking about ETFs vs. mutual funds: which one is right for you ? I suggest that you read this post at Generation X Finance. It is pretty extensive with the basics, advantages, and drawbacks for both listed.
- For those of you doing online banking you may have heard that WT Direct increased interest rate to 3.26% APY . The Financial Sun has a little to say on their discrepancies if you are interested in learning more about WT Direct.
- How America grew rich, fat and unhappy is an interesting reflection on today's standards of living in America written by Brip Blap. What we want and expect and how we're working harder to get it and feeling worse about it. Do you agree?
- For Sale By Owner - how to market your house with a local area Guide . This is a buyer's market and when selling a house you need all the advantages you can get. Reading this post at Money Smart Life won't guarantee a sell of your house, but you'll probably get more interest by being informed.
- For those starting out in stock investments, how to buy and sell shares on the stock market over at Million Dollar Journey is a great start to being well informed.
- My Dollar Plan writes this week on what is credit card arbitrage? You've heard of it, but how do you use it?
- Mighty Bargain Hunter this week posted on ten ways being fat costs money . There's no quick fix to get thin and stay thin but this post could be the kick in the butt (or wallet) that could lead changes for a healthier lifestyle, which is certainly more important than thinness.
- Have gas station owners been reading No Credit Needed? In your area, you may have noticed some gas stations not accepting credit cards anymore for gas transactions. NCN explains why, however annoying it may be, they're doing it.
- Free Money Finance offers nine ways to save on movie tickets this week. Even if you're not feeling the strain on your wallet due to rising gas and grocery prices, you will find this post useful.
- Five Cent Nickel has hacked his gas mileage and is getting 15% more for his money.
3 Responses to “Links: Is Waldo and Harry Potter The Same Person?”
Next: Lending Club Update