It seems the hip thing to do at the end of the year is do define some goals for the next year. I’ve done this in the past only to find a major life circumstance threw my goals in a completely different direction. Fortunately, it was always a good thing such as a nicely paying contract gig. It is with some reluctance that I go forward and create goals for 2011. I have a feeling that I’m going to get similarly sidetracked in 2011. Some may say that I should stay focused, but I believe in adapting to your situation.
So let’s dig in:
- Double Traffic to my Websites – It may come as a surprise but the traffic to Lazy Man and Money is just half of my website portfolio. To accomplish this goal, I’ll have to grow quite a bit more than just Lazy Man and Money… I need something a little bigger. Fortunately, I’m looking to launch a new site this year. I will strive to use what I’ve learned in 5 years of blogging to make it a pretty great website covering a wide range of topics beyond personal finance.
- Increase Revenue from my Websites by 50% – This is pretty straightforward. It’s been awhile since I’ve updated my books, but I would estimate this as hitting around $4500 a month. That would be a very nice income… unless you live in Silicon Valley as I do.
- Continue to Fight Against MonaVie and other MLM Scams – Just like in my favorite movie, Serenity, sometimes destiny finds you. I never wanted to be get in the business of debunking MLM scams, but I realize how many people are hurt by them… I can’t turn my back on that responsibility. (If anyone wants to help me, please Contact Me or leave a comment. Regular readers are already familiar with my Juice Scam website. They may not know that I also have written about Nerium and iJango. I may even diversify into other scams such as XOWii
- Write an eBook – I’ve had this on my list of goals for years now. It still hasn’t happened. I’m not that far away from releasing one… I just have a case of Perfect is the enemy of good. If people are going to pay me money for a book, I want to make sure that they feel it is a great value.
- Get Healthy – How do I define healthy? I’m going to go with losing 15 pounds and getting to my playing weight of 165 pounds. Since I don’t like to think of health in terms of just weight, I’m going to put up an alternative measure of success of being at 14.5% body fat. (Oh and if you are wondering what I played, it was John Madden Football… and I was awesome at it.)
I think it is always smart to set some stretch goals. This way if I finally write an eBook, I can’t relax on that accomplishment. I can work a harder and do a little more. In short, my stretch goals are 1.5 times the traffic to my websites, increase revenue 100%, writing four eBooks (after the first one, the rest should go quickly), and getting down to 13% body fat. If I were to make a bet on which one of these I’d most likely hit, I’d go with the eBooks, traffic, and revenue… in that order.
I think all these goals fit the SMARTER goals paradigm, but I think I need to break them down into smaller steps.