Wednesday my wife said, "You know we have a lot of cash sitting around, we should start to invest it while everything is cheap." It's amazing how I can write about this stuff everyday, while she spends about 4 minutes a year on it, and we both come to the same conclusion. Then Thursday happens and the stock market store just slashed prices another 7%. Friday morning, I hope to open up a Zecco account (why do people pay commissions?) and see how quickly we can get some money in the market. I say "hope", because I expect them to give me lots of paperwork and/or ask for me to fax something. Faxes don't work well with my Vonage phone lines.
I make it sound like an easy decision to invest. We have a long-term view and could wait out quite a bit of a downfall. I realize that earnings and cash-flow are likely to drop making stocks, even at this price, fairly valued. Still, I have to agree with Chad at Sentient Money when he says, "This market might be the best buying opportunity in the next 10 years.".
So what would I buy? I think, I'll stop by Vanguard and look for some cheap broad-based ETFs. My first target will be to load up on Total Stock Market ETF (symbol: VTI). I'll add some Small-Cap ETF (symbol: VB), just to overweight ourselves in that area a little bit. I would also look to their REIT ETF (symbol: VNQ) to diversify quite a bit. I may then look to diversify more by looking at PowerShares DB Oil Fund (symbol: DBO) and PowerShares DB Agriculture Fund (DBA). These last two typically go up as oil and food prices go up. This is a great hedge and if oil goes back up to $140 a barrel, we'll have solid stock gains to offset the pain at the pump.
Would you buy tomorrow? If yes, how would you reduce risk, but still try to capitalize on these relatively cheap prices.
Update: Looks like it might take a few days to get the Zecco account set-up. I did everything to set up an active account yet it doesn't look like I have an account set up to fund. Once I do have an account set up, I will need to decide how to fund it. If I go with the free ACH method it's going to take 5 days. If I going with the wire transfer it will cost $20, but be quick. I'm leaning towards the wire transfer at this point.
24 Responses to “Getting Ready to Buy Some Stock”
Next: Weekend Links – New Kids On The Block Edition