[Today’s guest post comes from Kosmo. I’ll warn you in advance that is a little different from what you’d normally read in this space (I’ve given some thoughts about that at the end). When Kosmo isn’t giving horrendous advice, he’s steering the ship over at The Soap Boxers and spinning up new fiction tales. You can find his Kindle books on Amazon.]
Most of you know that the world will end on December 21, 2012. Most of the world is hunkered down in cold war era bomb shelters, in a futile attempt to remain alive through the end of days. The smarter people are seeing the end of the world as an incredible opportunity. Here are tips on how to take advantage of the imminent destruction of the earth.
- Three words: cash out re-fi. Home equity? Is that really going to be important when the earth is just a smoldering core? Get your grubby hands on all the cash you can find.
- Raid the retirement funds and your kid’s 529 plan while you’re at it. Hey, we both know the kid’s going to struggle to make it out of second grade – time to rid yourself of the delusions of grandeur and make a profit at the same time.
- Job? What job? Goodbye, loser drones. I’ll be on the beach, sipping a Jack and Coke.
- Spend, spend, spend! Take that cash and make sure it’s all gone by December 21, 2012. Apply for every possible credit card and run those suckers to the limit and beyond! Last one to max out their cards is a rotten egg.
- [Bleep] you, IRS. I’ll send you my tax return … in 2013. Ha!
- Try some new foods. Personally, I recommend the homo sapiens filet. Take care when choosing restaurants that serve this delectable dish. Restaurants located near prisons tend to serve filets that are a bit tougher than those which serve only free range homo sapiens. Pricey, but excellent when prepared by a master chef. Simian fries are a great choice for a side dish.
- Cut the tags off your mattress. I double dare you!
- Travel to Costa Rica to see the dinosaurs. For that matter, buy one of the darned things. Cute little buggers, aren’t they?
- Learn a second language. I recommend FORTRAN.
- Lock in your 2012 Cubs season tickets early. It has long been forecast that a Cubs World Championship will cause the apocalypse, so the Northsiders are the team of destiny in 2012!
- Can you really die from mixing Coke and Pop Rocks? Only one way to find out. Let’s wait on this one until a few days before everyone dies from terminal apocalyptia.
- Buy that collection of Rob Schneider movies you’ve had your eye on. There will never be a better time to snap up the cinematic classics featuring this Oscar-snubbed thespian. The Olivier of our day, in my opinion.
[Editor’s Thoughts: I couldn’t help but not post this as it hit home on a few points. Not not the homo sapien filets. First I thought it made for a great reminder not to take things too seriously. I believe that’s always fitting for a Friday. However, this week I’ve been in need of some comedy as I’ve been wrapped in Tsunami news and NFL players with much, much bigger problems on their hands other than money.
Other points making it post-worthy:
- I appreciated the “bacon” reference. Bacon to me is like butter to Paula Deen.
- There was a time when I actually knew FORTRAN fairly well… because I was dorky enough to find it interesting. Though I quickly moved from that to FORTH. Again, I’m big with the dork (as Willow might have said in Buffy the Vampire Slayer).
- While on Buffy, when I read the phrase “terminal apocalyptia”, I couldn’t help think of this Riley quote, “Buffy. When I saw you stop the world from, you know, ending, I just assumed that was a big week for you. It turns out I suddenly find myself needing to know the plural of apocalypse.” The lesson here is that there’s a lot of fun to be had with the word apocalypse.
- Finally, I think my mother might buy Deuce Bigalow from the Amazon link at the end earning me a small commission. I seem to recall her mentioning that it wasn’t a bad movie. (Don’t worry mom, you are still cooler than me. Remember the FORTRAN and FORTH stuff above.)