This is not your typical personal finance post, that's for sure. However, I could use a little advice. I have some Sony Style points that I had saved up from using a Sony credit card. At the time, I couldn't find any good cash back rewards cards. I've been waiting for that must have item for some time now, but haven't found it. My $300+ dollars in points is going to expire later on this year. What do I get with the money?
- Digital Camera - I've had a 5MP camera with a 3x optical zoom camera for some time. Unfortunately it's been misplaced for about 6-8 weeks. I'm starting to think that I could use a replacement. One catch: It has to use SD media as I have a ton of those cards with my Treo. No Sony Media stick for me.
- Blu-Ray/HD-DVD Player - Either of these would be cool, but they is still a standards war between the two. That would mean that I'd have to get one of the newer combo units which I think are far, far more than the $300 I have saved up. Also where does one rent Blu-Ray discs? It doesn't seem like the value is there yet on this technology.
- Video Camcorder - I could get something low-end and then replace it when we think about having children in a few years. However, I'm really drooling over this Sony High Definition Hard Drive Camcorder. Unfortunately, I don't really have a need for it now. It could sit largely unused for some time - not the best situation. I also don't want to spend a lot of extra money.
- PlayStation 3 - This is an obvious use for the Sony points. I haven't used my Playstation 2 in some time, so it would be hard to justify a PS3.
- PlayStation Portable - This is a cool toy, but with my Treo, I can keep myself reasonably entertained and I don't need to carry anything else around with me.
- Other Ideas - I could purchase something with as many points as I have (like the PSP mentioned above) and put it on Ebay. That would allow me to transfer the points into some significant cash. That cash could be invested and/or put towards the above video camcorder in a couple of years. This is probably my most likely plan.
While I'm on the topic, I have a $100 Circuit City gift card which would be impossible to combine with the Sony Style points. I'd like to utilize that as well, but run into the same problem. This would be an ideal case for several online gift card exchanges, but I'm not sure how much I trust those sites. At least I don't think the Circuit City card expires (I was given it in MA where it's against state law for expiring gift cards, I believe), so there's no rush there.
16 Responses to “Ask the Readers: What Electronic Gadget should I Buy Myself”
Next: Credit Card Arbitrage